The president of the Board of Directors of the Los Cabos Hotel Association (AHLC), Mauricio Pérez Salicrup, anticipated that 3 airlines will stop flying to the South Californian destination; cancellations in the tourism sector will leave damages for 12 million dollars, higher than that registered in 2017 by the travel alert issued by the United States.
“To give you an idea of the damage that’s coming, we at the Association are carrying out very responsible surveys, so far cancellations approximate 9,000, which represent almost 45,000 fourth nights […] means almost 12 million dollars,” he declared.
Pérez Salicrup recalled that the destination of Los Cabos experienced a similar situation in August 2017, when the United States issued a travel warning, leaving an impact of $ 1.8 million loss in the hotel sector.
“The difference is quite big, we all have to be aware that very difficult times are coming and therefore we have to be very careful with everything regarding the family economy,” he said.
As for the airlines, the member of the Hotel Association confirmed that there are 4 airlines that will stop flying to Los Cabos, one of them closing some routes and keeping others.
“We already have confirmation that Sunwing and Westjet stop flying to Los Cabos, also Thursday (March 18) is the last TUI flight, the flight coming from the United Kingdom and United Airlines are warning us of the closure of routes, although they also inform us that the Houston and Los Angeles routes will remain, ”he said.
Finally, Pérez Salicrup estimated that the recovery of the South Californian tourist destination could take place after 9 months once the risks of the coronavirus and the collective hysteria that preceded it decrease.
The Mazatlan Post
The Mazatlan Post