Mexico dismantles gigantic migrant caravan headed for the US

339

The caravan was formed and began to march during the Summit of the Americas.

Mexican immigration authorities dismantled a large migrant caravan of at least 7,000 people who were walking in search of a better life in the United States.

The National Institute for Migration (INM) of Mexico said in a statement that it dissolved the caravan after reaching an agreement with its organizers, while its members were redirected to INM offices in Chiapas, where they were helped to obtain the documentation necessary to stay regularly in the country and seek employment.

Migration activists said the group could be one of the largest migrant caravans in the region in recent years. This type of mass migration began during the administration of Donald Trump and has spread so far during that of Joe Biden. They had left last Monday and had as their goal to enter the US during the Summit of the Americas, which took place this weekend in Los Angeles, California.


A growing problem

One of the organizers, Luis García Villagran, told international media that there were several nationalities represented, including Salvadorans, Hondurans and Guatemalans, three countries that make up the impoverished Northern Triangle of Central America, but there was also an important group of Venezuelans.

The migrants, including many children, began their journey early in the rain and scattered across several lanes of the highway, some wearing plastic ponchos and umbrellas, footage released by the Reuters news agency shows.

2020 was a record year for the number of attempts to illegally cross the US-Mexico border.

San Cristobal Post