Zoque collectives and communities in Chiapas convenes the Second Zoque Congress to analyze the problems that threaten the people and propose routes and alternatives to strengthen their fight against extractivism, violence, dispossession, and forced displacement.
«The ambitions of big capital are still interested in turning mother earth into a commodity that is bought and sold to the highest bidder. In recent years they have made it clear to us that up there they have no problem using violence to impose their extractive projects, dispossessing land, displacing families, fragmenting towns, and destroying Nasakobäjk,” the Nasakobäjk Defenders Collective said in the call. the Zoque Language and Culture Center, among others.
For this reason, with meetings, work tables, and screenings of films and documentaries, the delegations of the different ejidos, communities, and Zoque organizations will discuss the risks they face as indigenous people and the struggles and resistance in the countryside and in the city during the congress. , to be held on April 2 and 3 in the municipal seat of Chapultenango.
“We believe it is urgent to find ourselves in those our flames of resistance, autonomy, and rebellion that shine in each of the Zoque peoples both in Mexico and in the United States,” they assured.
Here is the full call:
1. The last 530 years of history have meant exploitation and dispossession for our peoples.
2. In our daily life, both in the countryside and in the city, we observe how the capitalist war
is still in force against the indigenous peoples and now threatens
all of humanity.
3. The ambitions of big capital are still interested in turning mother earth into a
commodity that is bought and sold to the highest bidder and that in recent years,
they have made it clear to us, that up there, they have no problem using violence
to impose their extractive projects, dispossess land, displace families, fragment
towns and destroy Nasakobäjk.
4. The storm is growing, that is why we believe it is urgent to find ourselves in those our
flames of resistance, autonomy and rebellion that shine in each of the
Zoque peoples both in Mexico and in the United States, men and women who weave new
worlds from mere below, from where love and ancestral commitment to
our mother who is the earth is born.
5. At the First Zoque Congress held in May 2014, we Zoques reiterated our
commitment to continue nurturing the collective organization.
It is for all these reasons that we have agreed to CONVENE the authorities and direct representatives of the towns, ejidos, communities, rancherías, neighborhoods, indigenous organizations and Zoque collectives from the countryside and the city both in Mexico and in the United States to the celebration of:
SECOND ZOQUE CONGRESS
That it will take place in the context of the forty years since the eruptions of the Chichonal volcano in 1982 and that it will take place on Saturday, April 2, and Sunday, April 3, 2022, in the municipal seat of Chapultenango, Chiapas, Mexico, in accordance with the following
• Registration and reception of participants
• Inauguration of the Second Zoque Congress Workshops
on the following axes:
• What are the threats facing the Zoque people?
• Our struggles and resistance in the countryside and in the city
• Proposals for strengthening the Zoque struggle
• Plenary meeting, agreements and conclusions
• Closing of the Second Zoque Congress
* During the nights of April 2 and 3 we will have screenings of documentaries and films by Zoque creators. Cinema as a mirror to look at ourselves collectively.
Criteria to consider:
1. One delegation per ejido, community, neighborhood, ranchería, city and/or group of the
2. Each delegation will be made up of 3 people and their respective substitutes -a total of 6
people- (for example, 1 representative of the ejido commissioner or ejidatarios; 1
representative of the Zoque women and 1 representative of the youth)
3. Each ejido, community, neighborhood, rancheria, city and/or group of the Zoque peoples will draw
up minutes of the appointment assembly of the delegation that will participate in the
Second Zoque Congress.
4. Each delegation will manage their transfer. The Second Zoque Congress will bear the food and lodging costs
of the collectively appointed Zoque delegates.
The prior registration of the Zoque delegations, as well as the press and free media, can be done by emailing [email protected]
For registration at the congress, we request that you send your full name, place of origin, as well as indicate the name of the town, community, collective, movement, organization or means of communication or free media.
The Second Zoque Congress will have public (opening and closing) and closed sessions. The free press and media may only cover the public sessions.
* Attendees are asked to bring a blanket or sleeping bag, their own glass, and a plate.
Our Lady of the Assumption Parish, Chapultenango
Primary Health Care APS Wäbä Ijtkuy “Place of Peace and Harmony”
Collective Defensoras de Nasakobäjk
Zoque Language and Culture Center
March 2, 2022
Chapultenango, Chiapas, Mexico